Spoonful Cafe'

• September 22, 2017, 12:50:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: The Spoonful Caf  (Read 52804 times)

Doug L

Re: The Spoonful Caf
« Reply #285 on: September 09, 2009, 02:24:54 PM »

Trick Farlow called to tell me he'd taken a salesman job, that he
was somewhere in Georgia dressed like a 1950s revenue man.
I asked him about his guitar and he said the first few trips out
he carried it in the trunk and would sit up at night playing it in
those lonely motel rooms off the highway. Then he added that
it made him cry to realize that a hundred other songwriters like
him were doing the same thing, dressing white collar daytimes
and sitting there with a whiskey and a guitar by night, singing
for nobody in their underwear. So he left his guitar at home in
Chattanooga and instead of playing late at night on the road
he'd just pop a pill or two and go to sleep. Still, he said he
considered himself lucky compared to the heavy-eyed folks
he saw along the way, the ones whose jobs had been lost
and who were now rudderless and afraid to look ahead. Trick
said being a travelling salesman was an awful job, like being
a carny and a con, trying to get people to buy insurance
when they had no future to insure and no money to pay for
it anyway. He said he looked forward to the cooler weather
of autumn, the rhythm of the wipers on a rain-soaked road,
the taste of a good grilled cheese sandwich at one of those
mom and pop places that had lowered their prices to pull a
stranger off the blacktop for a meal. One of these nights
old Trick is going to pull into Spoonful, and realize at last
that he's not alone...

BGee

• Email
« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »

:'(  I hope he makes it soon, Doug.  The way you write a
story makes me feel like I know Trick,  and it saddens me that
he is out there like that. 

Barb

Annaleah

• Email
« Reply #287 on: May 14, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »

I've been reorienting myself in the high desert of central Utah...haven't made it into the cafe for a while and have missed the music and the company.  Read a bit of Gibran today and it reminded me of this place that I love.  The thing about the Spoonful is that it is comfortable and familiar no matter where you come from, so it smells like pine and the ocean as I wander up the path and through the front door. It also doesn't matter that I'm busy and my schedule's full elsewhere because when I leave Spoonful, I've lost no time, so I sit and read and listen to the music and don't think about my to do list.  English muffin, honey, and chamomile tea in front of me.  Life is beautiful in general...but here, it is divine.
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

Jm

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2010, 02:01:54 AM »

Just another lovely day, right Mickey.
Happy 70th.

Egbert

« Reply #289 on: November 18, 2010, 01:56:35 PM »

Divine...she said. Can I take my shoes off? I need to sit down for a while. There's really nothing the matter, I just wanna sit down here. No one's here. Been quiet for a long time now. What should I say. Passed it many times, this place. Door closed, lights out, like abandoned. Left for ever to the winds of time and the paint blattered by the heat of the summer sun. Yeah, it's been a while since I passed the last time I was in these parts of the world. Been busy, too busy at home. Then you come to a point you start thinking about some of the things valueble, things you treasure...friends you have made and haven't seen in a long while. The radio man, the Grand Chief of Room 155, the songwriter from the North country, the writer from the North east, the singer with that deep blues song: The Rosary. Those girls...yeah those two girls. The young man with that Spanish guitar and the songs you know so well and that his father sang...the Mother and the Grandmother...yeah The Mother and the Grandmother...Some others I miss too; the Counselor and the tall one. The flying kid with his Ovation guitar and his wonderful wife...yeah, been a while and I miss them. We're so far apart. Winter is near, I can feel it in the air. The cold winds make me shiver, shiver... Been too long since I've been here... Wonder if I can light a fire in the old stove. Must be some matches around here... Let's see, it's so dark in here...

Craig

• Email
« Reply #290 on: November 23, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »

Yes, we need a fire to share.  All are friends here.  We all come from different walks of life, maybe different persuasions, maybe different viewpoints.  In the end, does all of that really matter?  No, not at all.  We accept each other for who we are.  We look at a person's heart, how true it is...not only to each other but to ourselves.  We have a comfort in our own skins.  There is a common care we have for one another.  There is no judgment amongst the lot.

Lets gather 'round the fire and enjoy each other's company for the time we have to share.  It is not forever...except for the memories.  Lets enjoy it while we can.

Craig

Egbert

« Reply #291 on: November 23, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »

Aah, the light came in with you my dear friend... Here they are, the matches; now I can start the fire. Than let us sit down for a while and have a talk, about moments of the past. Remembrances of places we went; Fredericksburg, Gruene, Perdido, Austin, Houston...We've been around some, don't you think? How about visiting some places beyond the big water; this ways. How about that? Someday maybe?

Jm

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving my friends. You're always near my heart.

Craig

• Email
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »

...and you and Bree are at the forefront of mine as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

Craig
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]